[amsat-bb] AO-95
Chris Bouck
2018-12-10 16:25:35 UTC
Where are you getting the information on this spacecraft?

Chris KB4CMF

---

E.Mike McCardel
2018-12-10 19:39:12 UTC
For information on how to subscribe to ANS visit:

EMike McCardel, AA8EM
Senior Editor AMSAT News Service
Past AMSAT-NA VP Educational Relations
Post by Chris Bouck
Where are you getting the information on this spacecraft?
Are you receiving the "ANS-xxx AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletins", sent to this list? That's the best source of information on AO-95, and future missions.
On to Fox-1E and beyond!
--- Zach
N0ZGO
Fred Castello
2018-12-10 00:17:07 UTC
I am just curious why we are not discussing the apparent failure of the receiver of AO-95. Do we know anything more about the issue?
Thanks all,
Fred – KF4FC

John Brier
2018-12-10 02:42:59 UTC
Very sorry to all the engineers and others who worked on/with AO-95.

Thanks for your service to the community.

73, John Brier KG4AKV
Fred,
Perhaps because there is little useful to be done or said at this point.
We don’t know, and may never know for sure what the exact failure is. Many
of those involved are also in some state of grieving right now after the
years of effort put into this little satellite. Space is hard, and we do
the best we can.
Rest assured that we will continue to monitor the satellite for any
changes, and when the will to work the problem is a little stronger we will
seek out some mega-erp EME stations to try to wiggle the RSSI to further
diagnose the problem. Continued submission of telemetry is very important
to this end.
73, Drew, KO4MA
AMSAT VP Operations
Post by Fred Castello
I am just curious why we are not discussing the apparent failure of the
receiver of AO-95. Do we know anything more about the issue?
Post by Fred Castello
Thanks all,
Fred – KF4FC
to all interested persons worldwide without requiring membership.
Opinions expressed
Post by Fred Castello
are solely those of the author, and do not reflect the official views of
AMSAT-NA.
Post by Fred Castello
Not an AMSAT-NA member? Join now to support the amateur satellite
program!
Post by Fred Castello
Subscription settings: http://www.amsat.org/mailman/listinfo/amsat-bb
Mike Sprenger
2018-12-10 20:29:51 UTC
John,

I'm like you, grateful for a long series of great effort - Its a real
crescendo of work just to launch and commission one of these satellites
when everything goes per plan and works just right.

This time is a little different, we're probably going to learn more from
AO-95, I'm taking this as I need to start collecting telemetry to support
the need for more data to understand the status to see if more information
may be revealed yielding better results in the future.

As long as the satellite is up there making power and transmitting the
possibility exists we may use its transponder some day, takes no
imagination to point out AO-7 as that example.

*I'm offering my hearty Thank You* for a whole program of satellites
(AO-73,85,91,92, 95 ARISS et al), and hope that the entire Mission Team
thats been working on all of these satellites has a great Holiday season
with Family and Friends. I hope to see you in Orlando soon.

73
Mike
W4UOO
Post by Fred Castello
Subscription settings: http://www.amsat.org/mailman/listinfo/amsat-bb
Thanks,
Mike Sprenger
(37.9167N 81.1244W is the Summit)
Jean Marc Momple
2018-12-10 16:47:40 UTC
Don,

I wish to join you to thanks Jerry and the team, to have worked so hard for Fox-1C over several years, and I am sure that they are more disappointed than anyone else about the present issue.

Building a bird is not an easy job and it seems that some believe it is kind of commodity, not really in spite many launches and each one is a challenge/ new adventure which is possible only due to the dedication and commitment of a few, space is not the nearby shopping mall and still a still a very risky business. Just look at the % of Cubesat failures.

Hopefully the bird will be recovered, if not it will be a learning as well explained. Grievance is just not relevant.

I will continue to send the TLM for the bird as many times as possible per the request to help them with an eventual recovery and suggest that all do so.

I also say also a big THANK YOU to the team behind AO-95, whether the mission is successful or not, the important matter is their hard work and learning from same.

73

Jean Marc (3B8DU)
Thanks to Drew and Jerry for the additional information, even though the
situation is not what anyone wanted hear.
I will echo John's statement. For those who have worked so hard on this
bird, along with those before it and those to come, THANK YOU! Without
people with the knowledge and skills to get a satellite into orbit, we
would not have anything to enjoy.
Post by Fred Castello
Post by Fred Castello
I am just curious why we are not discussing the apparent failure of the
receiver of AO-95. Do we know anything more about the issue?
Post by Fred Castello
Thanks all,
Fred – KF4FC
Hi Fred,
I'm not sure if you were referring to We the amsat-bb list members? I
have to say that I figured there would be much more chatter here than I
have seen so far, anyway.
If by We you mean We the AMSAT Engineering team, of course we have been
discussing the problem, possible causes, and working on leads ever since
the anomaly became known. Certainly many of us are unhappy at not
succeeding in making everybody else happy, but that is not the reason
for my silence in terms of sharing with the public. Right now, with no
readily apparent reason or reasons for the behavior, there is nothing
else to report.
The situation has gone from a commissioning to being challenge, which is
actually fun and we're on it. We are looking at data from a number of
sources, as well as our past experiences with the other Fox-1 satellites
during their journey from the BOM to orbit. Ideas such as the one Drew
mentioned about employing a mega-QRO station to see if it can be heard
by the bird have been on the table for several days but I don't plan to
report or discuss every thought we have in working this unless and until
it is something of merit or actionable. As you probably know, our
resources are limited and it's all volunteered time. Most if not all of
our remaining Fox-1 engineers are also involved in the GOLF-TEE project
so I have asked them to give that first priority with their available
volunteer time in order to keep the schedule. AO-95 is in orbit now and
we can vary the amount of attention on her as resources allow in order
to achieve both goals. If the results of our investigation point to a
possibility of recovery be it partial, full, or some workaround method,
we would all like to see her working as much as the rest of you and that
is a driver for this investigation. But perhaps the most important
driver is that there are lessons to be learned for the betterment of
future missions. I expect us to continue to look for the cause or
causes until we have results or reach a dead end because of the
inability to take the lid off and look inside AO-95.
The main point of the ANS is to let everyone know that commissioning
won't be happening, certainly not in the period that everyone has grown
accustomed to if at all, so that members and users can get on with
enjoying their activities on all of the other satellites. Many had been
waiting in anticipation and wondering why talk of AO-95 commissioning
seemed so quiet, so once we were sure that it didn't appear to be an
intermittent thing we shared the news. And as I said in the ANS, I will
certainly be keeping everyone posted when we have something new to
report so in the meantime please carry on and enjoy the birds!
Jerry Buxton, NØJY
73,
Don KB2YSI
https://www.hamqth.com/kb2ysi
Greg

Paul Stoetzer
2018-12-10 16:35:22 UTC
Please see https://www.amsat.org/fox-1cliff-ao-95-commissioning-status/

73,

Paul, N8HM
Ciprian Sufitchi
2018-12-09 19:37:56 UTC
The most updated Doppler.sqf file is located here:
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/hamradio/je9pel/satslist.htm

Chip N2YO