[amsat-bb] Yaesu G-5500 Potentiometer replacement
Todd
2015-03-12 18:14:18 UTC
I recently bought a _very slightly_ (like new) used Yaesu G-5500 rotator
and have had some issues with the indication system. During rotation of
the elevation rotor sometimes both indication meters would sometimes
fluctuate violently to full scale. Finally the elevation indicator just
stopped at 90 degrees and stayed there or went to zero when hitting the
zero stop microswitch. Anyway, if figured the position potentiometer
was the problem and opened up the unit and _found the gear on the pot
shaft was slipping due to the set screw not holding_. Although, it would
grab at some point during the rotation cycle again and hence be out of
sync now with the motor stop! This grabbing again in the rotation cycle
destroyed the pot. Got two (one spare) replacement pots from Yaesu and
installed and calibrated very carefully I might add. Adjusted pot to
display "0" degrees, installed gear on pot shaft and rechecked
indication to be be sure I still read "0". Assembled motor gearing with
boom tube so stop switch @ zero just actuated. Installed other case
half and checked ok and dead on after standard manual cal.
Anyway, just checked the azimuth operation and see that the indication
is off at 90 degrees by 10 degrees or so. Watching needle from zero the
needle delays in movement by a couple of seconds after motor starts
turning. I suspect another set screw slipping again. I will investigate
further. I'm getting closer to interfacing the LVB Tracker now. Anyhow,
after looking everywhere on this BB and internet for any procedure to
change these pots in either rotator I did find this posting from a Yaesu
Rep that gives a guide to a individual if he decides to take on the task
of changing out the azimuth pot. The Rep advises him to sent the unit to
him in California.

*YAESU FACTORY MESSAGE 2014*

* The grease that our technician uses to grease the bearings is
Valvoline DuraBlend Synthetic Part# VV278.

* In regards to replacing the pot, we strongly recommend that you
send the rotor to us to have the pot replaced. We make this
recommendation based on past experiences when users have tried to
replace the pot but *_did not properly align and position the pot
during replacement and re-assembly._* If not aligned and
re-assembled properly, damage to the rotor can occur. That being
said below are some points to keep in mind should you decide to do
the replacement yourself.

1. To orient pot shaft, place multimeter probes on Pin 1(Brown) & Pin
2(Yellow). Turn pot shaft until resistance reads 250+- Ω

2. Reinstall gears on the pot and recheck resistance as described above.

3. With Rotator top off connect control cable to the rotator and
control box.

4. Set multimeter to VDC and insert probes into Pin 2 and 3 of Control
Box jack.

5. Using the CCW switch rotate until VDC match the following:

G-450A-0.217vdc

G-800, 1000, 2800DXA, G-5500 AZIMUTH=0.540vdc

G-800, 1000, 2800SA=0.180vdc

6. With the rotator connector facing you, position the Rotation Limiter
arm to the right until it just touches the right stop. FAILURE TO DO
THIS CORRECTLY WILL DAMAGE THE ROTATOR

7. Install the rotator top with the raised alignment mark on the top
half of rotator case matching the raised alignment mark on the
bottom half of the rotator case.

8. Recalibrate the rotator and control box according to the instruction
found in your Operating Manual.

Best regards,
Technical Support Supervisor

This is the kind of information owners of these rotators need to
properly service and maintain these units. Hope this information can
help anyone with changing out these potentiometers.
Todd
AL7PX

Kevin Schuchmann
2015-03-14 18:59:38 UTC
For what it's worth, I have a rotor that has been going for 14 years,
the set screw issue was cured early on with a drop of blue Lock tight,
this counts for both the pot drive gear and the motor drive which also
has a small set screw that likes to back out and then the rotor runs
forever or until the windings fry.
I did lose a motor winding once due to a jam so after that I shoved a
thermal switch down between the windings to cut power in a over heat
situation, 4 lock to lock rotations and it will cutout, the motors that
Yaesu used have a very short duty cycle.
The Pot... never have had one go really bad where I had to replace
it but that #$%^ wire in the middle for the wiper can be vexing, the
turning and flexing breaks it and then you get wild extremes or bad
readings in one spot, replacing it with the most flexible wire you can
winding it like a loose coil and putting a small drop of epoxy at each
end to stop wire movement helps it last the longest (several years for
me), never had a problem realigning the stops if you make good marks of
where it was when you started or if possible you run it to zero before
you begin.
I have also found that quicksilver marine grease 2-4-c with ptfe
works really well and is readily available for the gears and bearings.

YMMV
73 Kevin WA6FWF
Jim Jerzycke
2015-03-15 03:47:46 UTC
Here's a quick question for those that have had the azimuth rotor apart.....

Last year when I packed things up from Field Day, I left the antennas
and cross-boom in my "Mini Portable Roof Mount" system. During the drive
home, my son noticed the antennas were windmilling in azimuth.

When we got home and unloaded the set up, you could turn the azimuth
rotor by hand. It still hits the stops, and I haven't tried to run it,
but I'm wondering what shook loose during the ride home.

Yeah, me bad for not pulling the cross-boom out!

I haven't taken the azimuth rotor apart yet (I have 4 complete G-5400
and G-5500 sets), so do you think I really busted something, or did a
setscrew just come loose?

73, Jim KQ6EA

PS....I'll be using my "regular" setup for Field Day this year as NI6BB
onboard the Battleship Iowa.
Kevin Schuchmann
2015-03-15 04:37:00 UTC
A picture would be worth a thousand words, but lets give it a try,
the motor is attached to what looks like a metal "bow tie" and is
surrounded by a coil spring with a bent tab at each end, when the motor
runs the bow tie grabs a tab and "pulls" the spring with it and the
pulling winds the spring in slightly and reduces it's size thus
dropping drag, when not running and you try to manually turn it the bow
tie is now "pushing" against the spring tab which makes the spring try
to get bigger and drag goes up stopping you from moving, if your
freewheeling...

A) setscrew loose on bow tie and is slipping on motor shaft
b) bow tie is too high or low and allowing spring tab to miss
c) rotor got jarred badly and spring got knocked out of position
d) previous maintenance put the wrong grease on the spring and it is
slipping (how would I know that? lol) should be white lithium and just
a little

73 Kevin WA6FWF
Kevin Schuchmann